polarexpress

North Canton Elementary School’s librarian, Valerie Guyer, is really bringing books to life for her students this week. She is focusing on The Polar Express and making the book very memorable for her students. She is incorporating pieces of the movie trailer into the reading of the book for an effective presentation of how books can be fun. Not only is she bringing in the movie end of things, but she is also bringing the book to life for students by having them wear their pajamas on their media day. She is welcoming them to “The Polar Express” when they walk through the door.  She has someone dressed like a conductor, and she is dressed like a chef. Kirsten Thompson, a student in Mr. Hick’s fifth grade class, shared her favorite part of the experience. She said “When we marched through the library with the Polar Express music playing, I felt like I was really on the train! It was fun and very Christmasy.” Riley Ivester, a fourth grader, said “I felt like I was actually on the Polar Express, because Mrs. Guyer was dressed up as a chef and Mrs. Shirlee was dressed up as the conductor. We even got hot chocolate with marshmallows!” She is doing a wonderful job bringing a favorite holiday story to life for all ages. Branson Jones, a second grader in Mrs. Goodson’s classroom, gave a description of his media day experience saying, “We read the book and got to watch a little of the movie. The conductor gave us hot chocolate and candy canes! I really liked the movie.”  Mrs. Guyer has done a fabulous job of engaging kids throughout the grade levels with this representation of The Polar Express. She shared her thoughts saying, “ I wanted to do something memorable for the students for the Holidays. I know that all students do not get to go and experience things outside of Haywood county. I came up with the Polar Express with another teacher, and it just blossomed into a CRAZY week at Library. I hope that it will be one of those moments when children are older that look back on and say wow now that was some fun reading!” I think it is safe to say from the reactions of our students here at NCE that they have truly loved and enjoyed every minute of their time in library this week!

By:  Sara Jenkins, North Canton Elementary School