Imagine students in kindergarten all the way up through grade five taking a school day to tube down hills of snow. This might be an unusual thought, but that is exactly what North Canton Elementary School students did on Friday January 30. This activity was a way to reward positive behavior and attendance. Many of our students are always at school, never late, and have positive behavior all of the time. Those students were rewarded with some time at Tony’s Tube World. It is a great incentive for students to turn in their work, come to school, and make sure to be on their best behavior. Andrew T., a fourth grader at NCE said, “Knowing we have such a fun day at the end of the nine weeks really makes me want to do my best all the time. I want to be at school and really try to get all my work done so that I can go to the fun stuff. I am so excited for Tube World!” The teachers have a positive view of the trip as well. Julie Smith, a fifth grade teacher says, “It is good for students to see that good character traits and dedication to school work has positive consequences. Those students that do not earn the trip see that it is important to always try their best, be good citizens, and to make school a top priority.” Students and teachers alike had a blast this Friday. Julie Smith ended her quote saying, “It is nice getting to take some time and just have fun with our kiddos. We do not always get to just enjoy an afternoon and have fun. You get to know your students better when you have opportunities to do things like this with them.” I am sure it will be a fun day for all who have the opportunity to go!

Submitted by Sara Jenkins and Valerie Guyer, North Canton Elementary