dsc_0796

The 2016-2017 Teachers of the Year were recognized at the annual luncheon on September 8, 2016, at Laurel Ridge Country Club.  Congratulations to Nanette Renegar, K-5 Reading Specialist at Clyde Elementary School, who was selected as the 2016-17 Haywood County Schools Teacher of the Year.

Nanette attended Methodist College and Appalachian State University and is currently pursuing National Board Certification.  She has been an educator for 17 years.

In her Teacher of the Year portfolio, she states, “When I first learned to read I was determined to share learning with others. My younger brother struggled in school in general but, mostly in reading. I used him as my guinea pig to teach reading. We used chants with word families, songs, used sand and whatever we could find to help him put words and sentences together and make meaning out of them.

Next, I tackled my older cousin. She was dyslexic and never really had success in school. As a result, she gave up on her education. One day, I found out she had a test and I persuaded her to let me help. It was evident she was an auditory learner. We worked on her learning with auditory methods and celebrated success with her first C in high school.

These early experiences fueled my passion for teaching and helping students to become successful.

I believe that each child that comes through our doors is a gift. Parents are trusting us with the very best they have and I don’t take that responsibility or that privilege lightly. I believe that when I made the commitment in my heart to teach, I wasn’t  just choosing a profession to provide for my family, I was embarking on a very specific driven way of life.

I work for an outstanding school system…we all stand together in this and that’s what I love about my job.”

Haywood County Schools congratulates all our Teachers of the Year: Karen Hopkins, Bethel Elementary; Barclay Taylor, Bethel Middle; Rhonda Wester, Canton Middle; Bronson Gross, Central Haywood High; Nanette Renegar, Clyde Elementary; Doug Hanson, Haywood Early College; Casey Conard, Hazelwood Elementary; Ashley Caldwell, Jonathan Valley Elementary; Sharon Cagle, Junaluska Elementary; Kimberly Messer, Meadowbrook Elementary; Amber Turner, North Canton Elementary; Harold Shepard, Pisgah High; Julia Hernandez-Young, Riverbend Elementary; Erica Smiley, Tuscola High; and Noal Castater, Waynesville Middle.