Heather Robinson, a rising senior at Pisgah High School, has been selected to attend the prestigious Governor’s School of North Carolina this summer. She is the second Pisgah student to be chosen for the program this year.

The Governor’s School of North Carolina is a four-week summer residential program for intellectually gifted high school students that integrates academic disciplines, the arts and unique coursework.

Governor’s School offers five academic disciplines – English, world languages, mathematics, natural science and social science – as well as five performing and visual arts disciplines, including art, choral music, instrumental music, dance and theater.

Heather applied for and was accepted into the natural science program, which will be held at Meredith College in Raleigh. During her time on campus, Heather will take classes in everything from biology to bioethical frontiers to neuroscience.

“I’m really interested in environmental change and climate change,” Heather explained. “After taking biology and chemistry here at Pisgah, I became fascinated by how the world comes together.”

During classes, Governor’s School teachers invite students to explore new and significant ideas through discussion.

“I’m confident that the rigorous curriculum Heather has completed over the past few years at Pisgah set her apart from the other applicants,” said Lisa Thompson, Haywood County Schools Federal Programs and Academically and Intellectually Gifted Director. “The experience of Governor’s School is second to none, and I’m sure Heather will make memories to last a lifetime.”

As a student at Pisgah, Heather is on the school’s tennis team and participates in student counsel, prom committee, Leo club, and National Honor Society.

The cost of the program is being paid for by a donation from Dr. Doris Hammett, a local Haywood County Schools supporter and retired pediatrician.

“I applied for Governor’s School expecting for my family to have to pay, and I am so relieved and thankful that Dr. Hammett is willing to pay for me to attend,” Heather said. “Her generosity is very appreciated.”

Heather will complete the four-week program from June 19 to July 16 with a three-day midsession break in July.

When she returns to Pisgah this fall as a senior, she will continue a demanding course load to prepare for college. Heather hopes to attend North Carolina State University to major in natural science or biology.

Submitted by:  Carrie Sutton, HCS Foundation