The 2015-2016 Teachers of the Year were recognized at the annual luncheon on September 16, 2015, at Laurel Ridge Country Club.  Congratulations to Amy Harrington, science teacher at Bethel Middle School, who was selected as the 2015-16 Haywood County Schools Teacher of the Year.

Amy has received both a Bachelor of Science and a Masters in Education from Mississippi State University and is National Board Certified.  She has taught science at both middle and high schools for 15 years.

In her Teacher of the Year portfolio, she stated, “I am a successful teacher when my students become successful thinkers themselves.  While teaching the content is very important, sometimes the most meaningful thing I can do for our students is listen and really try to understand things that are important to them.

On a typical day, close to ninety students enter the doors of my classroom to spend an hour and 10 minutes studying 8th grade science, water quality and natural resources, chemistry, fossils, geologic time, and cell structures – these are only a few of the topics they will explore.

As I walk into the classroom each morning, my goal is to find a way to make these topics meaningful to each student. My students should understand science has a connection to everyday life.

As 8th graders, my students must realize that they, as individuals, must make responsible choices as they journey through life. The choices they make determine their success in the future. They must learn the importance of determination, knowledge and teamwork. My goal is to teach students to think.

I will consider myself successful if my students leave my classroom with a desire to ask questions and make learning a lifelong quest.”

Haywood County Schools congratulates all our Teachers of the Year: Heidi Ashe, Bethel Elementary; Amy Harrington, Bethel Middle; Jessica Clontz Coward, Canton Middle; Sharon Ryan, Central Elementary; Amy Brown, Central Haywood High; Lauren King, Clyde Elementary; DJ Blankenship, Haywood Early College; Rebekah Wilson, Hazelwood Elementary; Lisa Cleaveland, Jonathan Valley Elementary; Betsy Bramley, Junaluska Elementary; Whitney Trull, Meadowbrook Elementary; Julie Smith, North Canton Elementary; Emily Burrus, Pisgah High; Suzanne Bigsby, Riverbend Elementary; Ray Sugg, Tuscola High; and Jennifer Parton, Waynesville Middle.