I am excited about the 2018-19 school year and honored to have been named superintendent by our Board of Education earlier this summer.  While public schools face many challenges, our best and brightest days are before us.  We have worked very hard over the last decade to become one of the best school systems in North Carolina.  Our students are very successful in a wide range of academic and extra-curricular activities.  I have always believed that only the best school systems do almost everything at a high level.  That is certainly the case for Haywood County Schools.  We excel academically in student performance on career and college preparatory courses, assessments, and academic competitions.  We also excel in extra-curricular activities from traditional sports and student organizations to civic activities sponsored by the community and student interest clubs.

Our people are our most valuable resource.  Capable and passionate people make positive things happen so our students can be successful.  I will continue being actively engaged in school and community activities.  I believe leadership should be as transparent and forward thinking as reasonably possible.  When we are faced with critical matters, I will work to provide clear and decisive action from school leadership.

Later this fall, we will be working with the community to develop a strategic long range plan. The plan will focus on: (1) academic excellence especially in the area of improving the depth of knowledge for students (2) improving school safety and security (3) facility use and planning (4) additional opportunities for students to be career or college ready (5) engaging with the community to collaboratively address critical issues like drug abuse and employability skills in the current economy.

I am confident there will be very little that we cannot accomplish, if we work together.

Bill Nolte, Ed.D.