We are so proud of the HCS family of employees.  There are over 1,000 of us with different jobs, roles, and responsibilities.  You are to be commended for all that you have done, and will do, during these most unusual times.

The following transition information follows an Emergency Electronic Meeting of the Haywood County School Board last night and an Emergency Electronic Principals Meeting this morning.  We are transitioning from the previous two-week closure to a closure that will last until at least May 15th.

Information from state officials and other governing sources is trickling in with new information provided as late as mid-day yesterday (03/25/20).  Principals were briefed this morning.  The following is a summary of major items that impact a significant number of people.

  • Employees who can legally and practically work from a remote location have already been directed to do so.  These employees include:  teachers, counselors, media coordinators, social workers, etc.  Guidelines have already been shared with these employees.
  • Employees who cannot be paid to work from a remote location include: custodians, Child Nutrition workers, maintenance employees, transportation employees, bus drivers, and bookkeepers.  These employees are critical to day-to-day operations during the COVID-19 crisis.
  • The following employees needed at work for essential day-to-day operations include:  the superintendent, principals, assistant principals, directors (supervisors and coordinators), teacher assistants, data managers, office support, ITC staff, EC support staff.  These employees may only work at home with the permission of their immediate supervisor and written notification from their health care provider that they should self-isolate.  In these situations, these employees will need to complete a Telework agreement with their principal or supervisor and maintain a work log while working remotely.

We are prepared to authorize travel for employees providing essential work (services, functions, etc.) who live in “shelter in place” areas.  If you live in Buncombe County, you will need a travel authorization to come to work.  Please see your principal or supervisor for a travel authorization.

Please be patient as we receive, process, and share new information from the state.  This is an evolving situation.  In the meantime, be calm, kind, smart, and safe.

Contact:  Dr. Bill Nolte, Superintendent